Welcome to California Collegiate Charter School, a tuition-free public charter school for the students of South Los Angeles. We opened in August of 2016 with our first cohort of 6th graders, and will grow the school to a full 6th through 12th grade span over seven years.
Through rigorous academics and character development, California Collegiate Charter School prepares all 6th through 12th grade students to succeed within the college of their choice and to be positive, engaged members of their communities.
California Collegiate is founded on the unshakeable belief that every student can, must, and will learn at levels that will allow them to attend and graduate from the college of their choice. Our small school structure allows for a level of personalization that ensures every student is known as an individual, and our innovative 6th through 12th grade approach allows for a seamless progression from elementary school to high school graduation that minimizes academic risk for a vulnerable population.
We embrace the following seven core beliefs as we work to change the educational landscape for the students and families of south Los Angeles.
- Literacy provides the foundation for all learning. Literacy is the key that unlocks the door of learning; our students benefit from a minimum of two hours of literacy instruction on a daily basis.
- Academic rigor lifts all boats. We believe that lowering expectations for any student is a grave injustice, and that all students benefit from a college-preparatory curriculum supported by daily homework.
- Extended time, frequent assessments, and targeted interventions ensure all students succeed. We consistently monitor the progress of each student, provide additional supports as necessary, and build additional time into the school day to guarantee every child achieves academic success.
- High quality teaching drives student learning. We are committed to providing every student with excellent teachers who are masters of their content, who are passionate about their teaching, and who will push students to the highest level.
- Character development is essential to academic success. Our students learn to embody our “PRICE of Success” core values: Purpose, Perseverance, Responsibility, Respect, Integrity, Initiative, Curiosity, Community, Empathy, and Excellence.
- Students thrive within structure and high expectations. We provide a structured and supportive school community that holds students to consistently high expectations for both academics and behavior through consistent school-wide systems.
- Families are our partners. We see the work of educating the children of our families as a sacred obligation and believe that families play a critical role in shaping our students. We believe it is our responsibility to include families in our work and make them feel welcome in our school.
Interested in learning more? Read our approved charter petition here.
All parents, students, staff and community members are welcome to participate in the development, review and implementation of our Wellness Policy. Contact Cristina Samarripa at email@example.com.
California Collegiate was founded under the leadership of Sue Andres-Brown, a Building Excellent Schools Fellow. The Fellowship is a practitioner-based school creation program that provides rigorous, year-long training in best practices of school leadership, achievement-oriented school culture, standards-based instructional design, organizational development, fiscal management, curriculum development, and board development. Fellows visit, study, and analyze more than 30 high-performing charter schools across the nation, completing a residency at a high-performing urban charter school, developing a successful charter school application, and receiving guidance and ongoing support in the launching of a no excuses urban charter school.